Silver Care

PLEASE DO NOT APPLY: Bleach, Sanitizer, Chlorine or any alcohol-based products (ex. perfume, wet wipes, etc...) to any Silver jewelry or Silverware.

Understanding Silver Tarnish

Tarnish on Silver is caused by a chemical reaction between the Silver and sulfur-containing substances present in the air. The sulfur combines with the Silver, forming a black compound known as Silver sulfide. This thin layer of Silver sulfide adheres to the surface of Silver and causes it to darken.

Maintaining Silver Products

Silver is a precious metal with density like that of Gold. Due to being a soft metal, Silver is often mixed with other alloys when making jewelry. Sterling Silver jewelry consists of 92.5% Silver and the rest 7.5% are mixed alloys (mainly copper). Handmade Silver jewelry requires slightly more alloys mixed with Silver to retain their beautiful carvings and harden the metal.

In comparison to other precious metals, Silver tends to tarnish when exposed to Sulphur containing substances in the air. However, this does not damage the metal, it simply forms a layer of tarnish which can easily be removed.

Fortunately, cleaning your Silver jewelry and keeping it tarnish free is quite simple and can be done yourself. With a few care tips, your fabulous piece of jewelry will remain dazzling for several years.

  • To avoid any oxidation, its best to always keep your unworn Silver jewelry in an airtight box or bag.
  • Keep your jewelry away from any household chemicals, perfumes, perspiration etc... It is better to remove your jewelry while doing your household chores.
  • The best way to clean dull or slightly tarnished jewelry is by cleaning it with mild dishwashing soap in slight warm water. Make sure not to use any scrub as it will leave scratch marks on the pieces.
  • Keeping a Silver cleaning cloth handy is also a good option. Simply clean the removed jewelry with the cleaning cloth before putting it back in the box.
  • Avoid wearing your Silver jewelry while swimming or at the beach.
  • Finally, make sure you do WEAR your Silver jewelry more often as the oils in the body keeps the Silver from tarnishing.

Sanitizing Silver Products

  • Please dip plain Silver jewelries or Silverware in hot water for a few minutes.
  • Silver products with any kind of gemstones or color enamel, wash with lukewarm water & dishwashing liquid.
WhatsApp Chat WhatsApp Chat